Field Trip FAQ

How do I make a reservation for a field trip?

You must register at least two weeks in advance. First, choose a field trip type, date, and time, then call (415) 391-1188×101 or email Our school tour reservation office is open Monday–Friday, 10 am–4 pm.

To visit the museum but not reserving a school program, do we still need a reservation?

Yes. Make reservations for a self-guided visit at least one week in advance.

After we register, will we get verification that our field trip is booked?

Yes, we’ll e-mail you a confirmation letter/invoice.

Do we have to pay?
Yes, see field trip descriptions for fees.

When do I pay?

Payment is due upon arrival. Please collect the money ahead and pay for the whole group in one payment (credit card, check, or cash).

Where do we park?

Cars park at meters along Clay Street of the museum or in Portsmouth Square Plaza Garage on Kearny between Clay and Washington Streets or St. Mary’s Square Garage at Grant and California Streets. All parking requires fees

How do we get to CHSA by public transportation?

By Bus: Eastbound 1 California buses stop at Clay and Powell Streets. Westbound 1 California buses stop at Sacramento and Powell Streets. Both Northbound and Southbound 30 Stockton buses stop on Stockton between Sacramento and Clay Streets.

By Cable Car : Stop at the intersection of Clay and Powell Streets.

What time should we arrive?

Arrive ten minutes before the start time. If you arrive earlier, please wait outside.

What should the teacher do when we arrive?

Check in with staff at the Admissions Desk. You can also take care of payment at this time.

Where can we put our stuff?

If at all possible, please leave backpacks on the bus.

Can we take pictures?

You may take pictures of objects that belong to the museum. You may not take pictures of objects in special exhibitions or on loan to the museum. Ask the museum guide or the officer giving the security talk for more information on photography. In the galleries any security officer can tell you if the museum owns an object or not.

Where can we eat lunch?

Parks around the museum are great places for a picnic. The museum has no lunchroom for students.

What kind of accessibility do you have for kids with special needs?

All of our programs are available for all students. Please inform the CHSA staff of any special needs your students, chaperones or teachers have.

What do we do if we need to cancel?

If you need to cancel your trip, call 415-391-1188×101.

%d bloggers like this: